Lamb Meatballs with Rosemary Tomatoe Sauce2013-04-01
- Prep Time : 35m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:35 h
This is a hearty sophisticated dish, full of flavor. For some reason while tasting this dish I thought to myself “this is a really adult taste”.
- 900 grams lamb mince
- 2 onions (1 finely grated, 1 sliced)
- 1 rash bacon (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup sage (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup rosemary (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 400 gram tin diced tomatoes
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 sprig rosemary (for sauce)
Mix thoroughly in a large bowl mince, onion, bacon, mushrooms, sage, rosemary, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic and some salt and pepper.
Roll into balls (approx 2 TBS per meatball) then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Caramelize the sliced onions in a deep hot frying pan until soft, remove then caramelize meatballs until brown.
Put the onions back in pan and add the chicken stock, tomatoes, sugar, red wine vinegar and sprig of rosemary. Bring to a slow simmer and cook for 1 hour.
Serve with peas and mashed potatoes.